Dave Turner on Sun, 25 Nov 2001 08:23:36 -0500

Re: Schedule through the end of 2001

Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Two Mondays after that will be the 17th.  Dave, could you give your
> TRIZ talk then?  Meng, could we try to have that meeting at your club?

I have recieved and read the basic book on TRIZ, so I guess all I have
to do is make slides.  OK, I'll talk then.

BTW, if anyone has some neat, short programming problems, will you email
me off-list?  I'm looking for good examples to demo the TRIZ techniques
on.

Examples of what I'm looking for would be:
-Drawing a line on a bitmapped display seems like it requires division,
but division is expensive.
-I want to sort a list of files by their md5sum, but it's too expensive
to keep recalculating the md5 for each file.
-I want to draw a whole bunch of sprites rotated to different angles,
but the rotation operation is too expensive.

Hm, all these involve optimization.  I guess that's just my mindset.
I'm interested in problems that don't involve optimization also.

Please don't waste time trying to solve the above problems on your own
-- their solutions are well-known, and they are just examples.

--
-Dave Turner                         Stalk Me: 610 664 2197
bundled in jackets