parker on Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:53:50 -0500

OT: Perl-related Job

     Greetings,

     As mentioned at the dinner last night, I want to bring to your
     attention a job opening at the Society for Industrial and Applied
     Mathematics.

     Text of the ad is below. I really can't add to the description below,
     except to say that as one of the programmers here I have found SIAM a
     remarkably sane place to work.

     If any of you are interested, please apply to my manager as detailed
     below.

     Thanks,

     JimP

--
+ --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- +
| Jim Parker Programmer      parker@siam.org  |

     Job Position Announcement: Computer Programmer

     SIAM, a worldwide professional mathematical society and publisher in
     the University City Science Center, seeks a database-oriented
     applications programmer with much team-oriented experience. We value
     your demonstrated ability to go beyond crafting modular maintainable
     code by managing the project planning and communications aspects of
     medium to large scale projects. We are looking for your ability to
     work directly with end users and fellow programmers, and your ability
     to clearly document user requirements and system design.

     Education: an undergraduate degree in a computer science field
     desired, or significant training/education in computer programming.

     Experience: demonstrated achievement in programming, documenting, and
     delivering database applications in a web-oriented environment.

     People Skills: Ability to create and maintain schedules, to keep users
     well informed of project progress, and to delegate components to
     others. Excellent writing ability and verbal skills.

     Technical Skills: Familiarity with the Windows NT and Linux operating
     systems, and familiarity with relational database concepts is
     necessary. Perl is our preferred programming language. Knowledge of
     one or more web-to-database methods (including, but not limited to,
     Cold Fusion CFML or Perl/CGI) is essential. Javascript a plus. Must be
     competent in using SQL with a variety of database servers, especially
     MS SQL Server or PostgreSQL.

     Must live locally in the Philadelphia area and be able to commute
     daily to the University City area.

     In your cover letter please indicate with which languages, databases,
     and technologies you have had the most experience, and what was your
     most challenging project. Mail your resume and cover letter via
     old-fashioned paper-based postal mail to:

     Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM)
     Attention: Information Systems
     3600 University City Science Center
     Philadelphia PA 19104

     A few restrictions, please: U. S. citizenship required. No visas. No
     third-party applications. No fees paid to agencies or recruiters. No
     bonuses. No relocation. No telecommuting. No phone calls. Non-smoking
     office.

     -30-