Jeff Weisberg on Tue, 7 May 2002 17:38:33 -0400

Re: Coin puzzle

kstar@wolfetech.com wrote:

|     The best I can see is that I'll win eventually if I flip one coin (or
| equivalently, three coins) at random each time, but I can only present a
| statistical likelihood of when I'll actually win -- it could take a really
| long time.

apparently, I missed an exciting meeting last night. dang it!

I can confirm that
  a) there is a solution that always solves this in a small number of moves[1]
  b) solves it on average in half the number of moves as randomly flipping

Jeff's numbers:

randomly flipping one:	average - about 8 moves
better strategy:	average - about 4 moves, never more than 7 [1]

	--jeff

[1] empirically determined. I'm not sure I can prove this.