Walt Mankowski on Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:15:11 -0400

Upcoming Schedule

Our next social meeting will be Monday, August 19 at the Manayunk
Brewpub[1], 4120 Main St. in (where else?) Manayunk.

Our next tech meeting will be Monday, September 9.  John (sorry, I
forget your last name) will be talking about using Perl to automate
Expect scripts.

For our September social meeting we talked about going to the Victory
Brewpub[2] in Downingtown.  Since it's so far outside the city, we're
going to do that on a Saturday so that more people can make it.  Let's
set a tentative date of September 21 for that and see how it fits into
everyone's schedule.

Meng will be doing our October tech meeting.  He'll be talking about a
number of short topics.  Let's try to have that meeting on Monday,
October 7.

The Usenix LISA conference[3] will be in Philadelphia November 3-8.
Several Perl notables, including Larry Wall, will be in town for all
or part of that week.  Let's leave that week open and hope that we can
arrange some sort of a social event then.

We're going to do something a little different with the tech talks
starting in November.  We've taken some inspiration from the Seattle
Perl Mongers[4] and will spend a few months having people give talks
on various modules written by the illustrious Damian Conway[5].
Here's a list of the modules we've agreed to talk about:

Mark
  NEXT
  Hook::LexWrap

Walt
  Attribe::Types
  Class::Delegation

Eric
  Lingua::EN::Inflect

Jeff
  Getopt::Declare

John
  Attribute::Handlers

Hao
  Class::MultiMethods

Paul1
  Switch
  Perl6::Variables

Paul2
  Tie::SecureHash
  Inline::Files

Sorry, I don't remember which Paul was which. :-)

I'm still trying to work out a schedule for these talks.  Let me ask a
question -- would people rather have the talks grouped by topic or
speaker?

This just in -- Uri Guttman has offered to give a talk about stem[6]
while he's in town for LISA.  It would be sometime during the first
week of November, but probably *not* on the Monday.  Would anyone be
interested in that?  If so we'd just push back the Damian module talks
to start in December.

Walt

1.  http://philadelphia.citysearch.com/profile/11313470/
2.  http://www.victorybeer.com/