Jeff Weisberg on Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:37:00 -0500

Re: gas tank problem

| It's past my bedtime, too, but one thing I saw right away is that
| you're solving for the wrong value.  You want to find h when Agas is
| 1/4 the area of the entire circle.

I mis-understood then. I thought our gas-gauge was broken
and we wanted to measure the amount of gas with a dipstick.

but we have a working gas-gauge, and want to use it
to measure a stick of unknown length.

so, you fix the one typo I made, and solve for "h" (or
solve for "aprox. h" [1])

when the tank is 1/4 full, the mark on the stick is
at just under 0.6*R

	--jeff

[1] if you are an engineer, you can pretend the equation is linear...

-