Eric Roode on Wed, 8 Jan 2003 15:12:55 -0500

Re: CPAN submission

Hi Shawn,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 02:38:51PM -0500, spoulson3@comcast.net wrote:

> Has anyone any experience with submitting a module to CPAN?  I was
> wondering two main things:

First, you should join PAUSE.  See pause.perl.org for details.  Read
the FAQs.  Only PAUSE developers can submit modules to CPAN.  But
anyone can join PAUSE.

> - What people do to make sure their work is not duplicated and that the
> module namespace doesn't interfere with others.

First, do a CPAN search.  Second, (optional but recommended), discuss
your proposed namespace with other developers -- us here, the folk in
comp.lang.perl.modules, the local bar, etc.

Third, name your module, write it, upload it (pause.perl.org has
instructions for uploading).  You can upload basically anything with
just about any name, and nobody will care because it doesn't show up
on the "official" CPAN modules list.

Fourth, if you want your module to show up on The List, there's a
"registration" step, a form you fill out at pause.perl.org that
requests that your proposed name be reserved for you.  That request
is reviewed by The Powers That Be, who decide yea or nay.  One of
the very few autocracies in the Perl world.

> - How do I compile a CPAN-friendly bundle if my project has multiple
> modules?  I've read the section in the Perl Cookbook and it really only
> covers building single-module distributions.

I can't help you with this, as I haven't (yet) written modules for
distribution that consisted of multiple library files, but a quick
scan of the ExtUtils::MakeMaker docs seems to indicate that it "just
finds them" in your source directory and "just installs them" where
they need to go, just as if you only had one module file.

HTH.

--
Eric J. Roode                                              eric@myxa.com
Senior Software Engineer, Myxa Corporation