Dominus on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:26:13 -0400

Re: OT: OpenBSD event at UPENN cancelled, request for help

> It's in Calgary?  Oops.

I have no idea.  As I said, I don't understand what this is about.

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=openbsd-misc&m=105061785602628&w=2
says:

        The grant was to University of Penn.

        There is no contract or grant directly with OpenBSD.

        There is one with the Hotel, so we'll see what happens ;-)

        I was promised that some of that money would be used to let
        developers stay in a hotel in Calgary.  I told that to 60
        people, who then bought their tickets; all this was based on
        me passing on a verbal promise from jms@upenn -- and now he
        has cancelled that promise.

That's where I got Calgary from.

jms@upenn is presumably Jonathan Smith, a Penn CIS professor; when I
was at Penn he was afiliated with the distributed systems lab.

However, I still don't understand what happened, who was promised
what, what was cancelled, or anything else important.

> I saw UPENN and assumed it was in Philadelphia.

So when you said

        I'm sure you would like to know that this is going on in your
        home town

you didn't know what was going on yourself?

I agree that this does sound like something that we would want to know
about, and I want to thank you for bringing it to the attention of the
group, but I still don't understand what the situation is and I wish
someone who does understand would explain it.

Does anyone have any real information or understanding?

-