Kyle R . Burton on Fri, 18 Apr 2003 17:31:55 -0400

Re: OT: OpenBSD event at UPENN cancelled, request for help

> Does anyone have any real information or understanding?

I've read some of that thread.  From what I understand, DARPA pulled the
remaining funding from a project at UPenn that was working on OpenBSD.
The hackathon in Calgary was organized by the OpenBSD developers, and was
being subsidised in part by the funding (air line tickets and hotel rooms).
>From what I read, 7 (I think it was 7) people at UPenn were receiving
compensation (salary or otherwise) to work on OpenBSD or related projects.

DARPA supposedly told UPenn to immediately cancel all of the hotel
reservations.  Apparently, many of the developers put up the cash for
the air line tickets and were expecting to charge the cost back to the
DARPA funding.

That is my understanding from the fifteen or so messages I read in that
thead.

HTH,
Kyle R. Burton