mjd-perl-pm on Thu, 26 Jun 2003 21:35:53 -0400

Re: Idea: Crossbreed a source code control system and a wiki

> Unless I misunderstood, the only problem I see is that people like to
> write code in a text editor or in an IDE, not in a web browser. Other than
> that it sounds like a great idea.

Yeah.  Editing long wikipedia articles is really painful, but that
doesn't seem to stop most people.  When it gets really hairy, you copy
the text out of the wiki into the editor, and back again when you're
done.

People would probably want to edit the code in their private editor,
and then paste the result into the wiki.  In a better world, there
would be a browser plugin that did this automatically.  An alternative
that requires an only slightly better world would be that you could
keep the source code on your disk as usual, edit it as usual, and have
an editor command that would post the changes to the wiki.

-