Jeff Abrahamson on Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:20:34 -0400

Re: Idea: Crossbreed a source code control system and a wiki

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 09:36:23PM -0400, mjd-perl-pm@plover.com wrote:
>   [20 lines, 167 words, 954 characters]  Top characters: etoianlh
>

> > Unless I misunderstood, the only problem I see is that people like to
> > write code in a text editor or in an IDE, not in a web browser. Other than
> > that it sounds like a great idea.
>
> Yeah.  Editing long wikipedia articles is really painful, but that
> doesn't seem to stop most people.  When it gets really hairy, you copy
> the text out of the wiki into the editor, and back again when you're
> done.
>
> People would probably want to edit the code in their private editor,
> and then paste the result into the wiki.  In a better world, there
> would be a browser plugin that did this automatically.  An alternative
> that requires an only slightly better world would be that you could
> keep the source code on your disk as usual, edit it as usual, and have
> an editor command that would post the changes to the wiki.

Hmm, so then people might write wrappers so they could have the source
locally and interact locally with their favorite editor, but still
have writes go back to the wiki. Much like many of us do with LWM or
wget or what not. Avoids having to manually copy and paste, but you
can still interact via the web.

But then this sounds isomorphic to cvs with an optional web interface,
which already exists.

Programmers are usually willing to learn arcane tools to save time and
increase productivity. Seems to me that the existing tools do the job
pretty well. So perhaps this wiki would interface flexibly with cvs,
subversion, bitkeeper (if religion permits), opencm (if obscurity
permits), etc. That is, it would be a front end to an existing system,
one of many ways to access the back end.

--
 Jeff

-