Jeff Jonas on Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:34:37 -0400

Re: Perl or Web Certifications?

> Does anyone else think the whole certification scheme is a scam?

here's a short reply with no frothing-at-the-mouth:

I'm unsure if it's a scam but it's big business!

One boss had me take BrainBench tests while they were free.
It was just to see if they were worthwhile.
Now their prices keep going up and the mailing list is mostly
spam and self-advertising.  They glorify folks who take lotsa tests,
but what does it really prove or gain the person?
I'm not spending a dime on it
particularly since the certifications now expire.

Some employers are turning to such tests to qualify job candidates
so the issue may be forced upon us.
-