Adam Turoff on Tue, 2 Sep 2003 00:21:13 -0400

Re: Perl or Web Certifications?

On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 09:06:43PM -0400, David Steuber wrote:
> Does anyone else think the whole certification scheme is a scam?

It depends.

Some certifications are worthwhile.  Cars are expensive and complex
pieces of equipment; I don't want to be paying top dollar to get
my transmission replaced by someone whose qualifications are limited to
a monkey wrench in his back pocket and a blood alcohol level of <.04%.
I'd rather have my car serviced by an ASE certified mechanic, by a
manufacturer certified mechanic or someone similarly competant.

I've worked with sysadmins who respect vendor-run certification
programs.  They are generally tied to training seminars that teach how
to use a product as designed.  The marriage of training+certification
seems to work there.

That said, there are a vast number of fields that rely on skills not easily
tested, lack a generally accepted set of best practices, and have no central
authority respected enough that can deem someone as qualified.

Programming in all of its forms falls into this second category.  That's
why Perl, HTML, JavaScript, SGML, XML, XSLT, Python, C, C++, UML, XP, SQL,
and the like are poor candidates for certification, and why
"certifications" in those areas offered today are quite simply laughable.

Z.

-