Mark Dominus on 15 Jan 2004 01:46:38 -0000

Re: What's Wrong with My Use of Benchmark (was: What use is the Schwartzian Transform?)

James E Keenan <jkeen@verizon.net>:
> Before I walk the plank, let me say a few exculpatory words.  When
> someone posts to a mailing list, s/he is often caught between the Scylla
> of not posting enough code (to enable readers to solve the problem) and
> the Charybdis of posting too much (in which case his readers' eyes glaze
> over before hitting the Reply button and he risks a stern lecture from
> Tad or a more gentle admonition from someone like myself).  It could
> even be argued that if he knew in advance *exactly* how much code to
> post, he probably was close to the answer to your question.

Certainly.  But I think that no madder how perlious the situation,
there's always a happy third route of putting the code up on your web
site, and posting the URL for it.

(Another happy solution is to post the code, and then to ignore the
grumbles from people like Tad.  But I realize that not everyone can do
this.)

> It was ... well, of course, you guessed it

There's no 'of course' about it.  I just got lucky.

-