Wilson, Douglas on 6 Feb 2004 22:29:53 -0000

RE: Needed modules

>> that's a rather odd question.
>> you are aware that by installing modules, they won't actually
>> do anything?
>>
>> you should install those modules which are needed by any
>> software you install or write.
>>
>> install nothing more, nothing less.

> Right, but what if you wrote a bunch of code under, say 5.00503.  Now
> you're going to upgrade to 5.8.x (or 5.008x, as the case may be) and
> you'd like to know what might be out there to make your life easier,
> knowing that you're going to be writing code that does foo, bar and
baz.
> Since that's my case, I supplied foo, bar and baz to the list, and
asked
> opinions on what tools (i.e. modules) folks would use, knowing they'd
be
> working with foo, bar and baz.

It is a really hard question unless you know what sort of things you'd
like to do, and how you'd like to do them. Some people think Class::DBI
is the bee's knees, I just haven't found a use for it since I'm very
comfortable with SQL, and maybe don't work on the sort of projects that
Class::DBI might be appropriate for. CGI.pm is touted as a must-use
module, but I don't really do any CGI work (so why did I install it?
I dunno, I forget). I think XML::Simple and XML::Twig are indispensible
for working with XML, but they're useless for you if you don't do any
XML work. I happen to like Parse::FixedLength for fixed-length format
files, others think its completely redundant.

Sometimes its just a matter of knowing what modules are out there.
Just today I found out about a module which solves a problem I've
had to program in the past (Graph::Directed from
http://www.perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=326983), but I don't
think I'll install the module until the next time I run into that
problem again.

For what it's worth, here's the output of
perldoc perllocal | col -b | sed -n 's/^[^:]*:[^:]*:[^:]*: "Module" //p'
on my system for perl 5.6.1 (some things, like XML::SAX, I've played
with but
don't really use)(and sorry for the rambling):
Net
MIME::Base64
URI
HTML::Tagset