Geoffrey Young on 29 Jun 2004 12:45:16 -0000

Re: YAPC 2005 proposals

Lawrence D.P. Miller wrote:
>>>Either way folks would need cars or carpools to get there.  Septa has
>>>spotty daily service to Newark (last train leaves at 7:21 PM) and no
>>>weekend service at all.
>>
>>I wasn't aware that septa had service to newark at all - the last time I did
>>it via public transportation (um, how many years ago ;) it was the regional
>>to wilmington then a bus to newark.
>

> Does the lack of public transit access make this a less attractive option
> as a conference location, or would some sort of airport shuttle be
> appropriate?

you can get to campus entirely via public transportation - something like $8
gets you from the airport to campus right where the conference would be.
the main issue is that it is time consuming since you need two connections
(rail to rail to bus).  if septa now goes to newark it gets a little better,
so I'll need to look into that a bit more.

shuttle vans can be had for around $35 to campus as well.  I suspect these
will be easy to get - lots of the larger hotels near campus talk about
shuttle service to and from the airport.

but yes, transportation is probably the least attractive aspect of the
venue, but splitting $35 with a few people for a 45 minute ride really isn't
that bad - IIRC it was a $20 cab ride from the airport to YAPC st. louis.

--Geoff
-