John Paxton on 14 Jul 2004 18:32:54 -0000

RE: Perl monger new to Philly

Regarding ISPs

I live in the suburbs (Ardmore, actually), and I've liked Speakeasy.net
a lot, for DSL service. Here in the states, Comcast is ubiquitous (and
cheap) but somewhat evil (pay per computer hooked up, no static IPs, a
dim view of running servers on their systems). Also, you might only get
good cheap rates from Comcast if you've already signed up for their
cable service (and satellite here tends to have a wider channel
selection).

Regarding Philly's job market

If I were looking for Perlish jobs, the first place I'd start is
jobs.perl.org. For the Philadelphia area, specifically, you could try
www.philly.com, which is the local paper's website. The classifieds
there are ok. Further, they might have some archive information on
salaries/benefits/etc in the area. In general, it seems that the job
market is rather tight in Philly, as it is on the rest of the East
Coast. I'm sure that others hereabouts will have more to say about job
hunting and prospects.

Welcome to Philly!

--John