Hans Dieter Pearcey on 14 Jul 2004 18:46:36 -0000

Re: Perl monger new to Philly

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 02:32:38PM -0400, John Paxton wrote:
> I live in the suburbs (Ardmore, actually), and I've liked Speakeasy.net
> a lot, for DSL service. Here in the states, Comcast is ubiquitous (and
> cheap) but somewhat evil (pay per computer hooked up, no static IPs, a
> dim view of running servers on their systems).

As far as I can tell, this is no longer true, at least in Philadelphia.
My cable installation guy may have been exceptional, but he didn't care
how many computers I was going to use or even if I was going to use
Windows; he only cared that he could get signal to the cablemodem and
link past it.  He didn't even demand that he install Comcast's branded
IE or whatever they used to do; in fact, he commiserated with me over
that obnoxious practice.

Also, my IP address hasn't changed in the 4 months that I've had them,
but I care significantly less than I used to about static ips since all
my machines that need them are at work now.

If static ips are very important to you, I can join in recommending
DCAnet, who I used for several years before switching to Comcast when I
moved and DCA couldn't give me service any more.  They have good
customer service, give you 5 static ip addresses, and will let you
fiddle with your reverse dns if you're so inclined.

> Also, you might only get good cheap rates from Comcast if you've
> already signed up for their cable service (and satellite here tends to
> have a wider channel selection).

My only service from them is internet access and I think it's $60/mo
after the first three "introductory" $20 months.  That seems reasonable
to me.

hdp.
-