Wismer, James on 15 Jul 2004 02:41:00 -0000

RE: Perl monger new to Philly

As far as ISPs, if you want high-speed internet look to Verizon for DSL
service and to Comcast for cable.  I think these two are the only viable
choices in the Philly area.

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Styer [mailto:michael@styer.net]
Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 2:12 PM
To: phl@lists.pm.org
Subject: Perl monger new to Philly

Hello.

I hope a brief introduction and a few questions are not out of place on
this list. I'm a Perl programmer, web developer, IT consultant, yadda
yadda yadda, and my wife and I are soon moving to Philadelphia, so I
thought this might be a good place to ask for advice; please feel free
to tell me (politely or otherwise) if this isn't the place, or if
there's another better place to go.

As mentioned, I will soon be living in Philadelphia with my wife,
setting up home and looking for work. We've been living in London for
the past five years, so although I grew up just north of the city, I
know next to nothing about living in Philly.

The first question I have is about the Philly job market, both for
freelance and permanent positions. London being what it is, I'm sure
going rates for programming salaries and freelance contractors over
there bear little relation to standard rates here. Can you suggest any
websites or publications that might have this information? Also, what
sites would you recommend to someone looking for freelance or permanent
positions in the Philly area?

My second question is about Philly ISPs. Any recommendations or
warnings? Or can you point me to a good website with reviews of the
competing ISPs in Philly? I'm looking for a company that will provide
DSL or Cable service.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm looking forward to settling in in
Philly, and I hope to be able to attend some of the upcoming phl.pm
meetings.

Regards,

Mike
-