james.wismer on 14 Jul 2005 19:41:55 -0000

RE: July tech meeting

FYI - I've got the meeting room reserved for us.

Thanks.
Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-phl@lists.pm.org [mailto:owner-phl@lists.pm.org] On Behalf
Of Walt Mankowski
Sent: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 12:01 PM
To: phl@lists.pm.org
Subject: July tech meeting

I'm breaking with tradition and announcing our July tech meeting 2 1/2
weeks in advance!

Our meeting this month will be on Monday, July 25th at 7 PM.  We'll be
at our usual location at Thompson Scientific (aka ISI) on Market
between 34th and 36th.

We'll have two speakers this month.  First, Sue Talbutt will talk
about "Using Perl and XML in document parsing":

  Topic: Using Perl and XML in document parsing

  Overview of using some perl modules for parsing and creating XML
  "Some" because a CPAN search for XML returns 989 modules, 120 of the
  XML::Foo type, most less than version 1.0.

  Outline:
  -- Real uses of XML (RSS, web services, RecipeML, iPhoto)
  -- Parsing XML
          -- SAX
          -- DOM
  -- Perl modules for DOM, with example
  -- Perl modules for writing XML, with example
  -- Resources

  And whatever other modules I can get my fingers into before then.

Next, Mark-Jason Dominus will practice a talk entitled "You Can't Get
There From Here" which he'll be giving at OSCON next month:

  You Can't Get There From Here
  Mark-Jason Dominus, Chief Programmer, Plover Systems Co.

  Sometimes you hear people say that there's no point in trying to put
  a certain feature into a program, because it's NP-complete. Or maybe
  they said it was equivalent to the halting problem. Wait, aren't
  those the same thing?

  Dominus takes you through a quick tour of what it means to be
  undecidable, NP-complete, and intractible, and what the differences
  are. He discusses the implications for practical problems like array
  bounds checking. He demonstrates the halting theorem, which says
  that there are some things that just can't be computed, and Rice's
  theorem, which says that there are hardly any things that can be
  computed. He talks about hashing and encryption algorithms,
  including how to generate unbreakable codes, how to prove that you
  know a secret without revealing what it is, and how to flip a coin
  over the telephone.
-