Jeff Abrahamson on 26 Feb 2006 02:44:45 -0000

book review: Krogh, Digital Asset Management

Marsee and O'Reilly provided me with a free copy of Peter Korgh's "The
DAM Book: Digital Asset Management for Photographers" with request
that I review it and share my thoughts.  I here fulfill that
obligation.

The beginning of the book, the first few chapters, is great and gives
a bunch of good tips on how to store and manage digital images.
Although I consider myself reasonably versed on the subject, I learned
a few things.  Advise ranges over naming conventions, keyword
assignment, selection habits, and more.  Even better is his sharing
experiences about why it's best *not* to adopt certain habits that at
first seem quite reasonable, like naming photos after who's in them
(it doesn't scale).

The rest of the book is very specific to a single product, Adobe
Bridge.  As such, it is a great disappointment.  I'm glad I didn't buy
the book, as the first part is easily readable in a sitting and the
second part is not interesting to me.

If anyone would like to read the first part of the book, or even the
whole thing, for free, I'm happy to part with my copy, reply off list.
I do heartily recommend the beginning.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287