R. Geoffrey Avery on 23 Jul 2006 05:20:13 -0000

Thursday July 27: Field trip to Camden River Sharks and discuss a bid for YAPC::Philadelphia 2007

I recently became curious about hosting YAPC and thought of Rutgers-Camden. I now have the first batch of numbers in and it looks like it might work. Would anyone like to go see the Camden River Sharks (http://www.riversharks.com/) and take a look at the campus? The River Shark's stadium is build on campus land so our venue is only a few blocks away from the stadium.

The game starts at 7:05pm so we could take the tour and then go to the game.

The deadline for proposals is August 1 so we have some time to come up with the rest of the answers. Below is a what I have put together so far. Rumor has it the current contenders are Boston, Vancouver, and Houston.

- Geoff

Most of the venue would be in the Campus Center. All seating counts are for lecture seating without tables:

The multipurpose room seats 400 (can be split in half)
$400 / day + $160 setup + a little extra to rent the extra chairs to reach 400
Half of multipurpose room seats 200
$250 / day + $125 setup

Conference room seats about 80 (there are two of these, each can be split 3 ways)
$150 / day + $105 setup
2/3 of conference room seats about 50
$100 / days + $70 setup
1/3 of conference room seats about 25
$50 / days + $35 setup

Room with paddle armed chairs seats 60
        $100 / days + $0 setup

There is also the Gordon Theater that seats more than 400 but it is in Fine Arts Center two buildings north. It is priced separately and I don't yet have numbers on it. There is a possibility we could use it just for the morning of day 1 and afternoon of day 3.

The rooms that seat 80 can be split into three small 25 people rooms or a single 25 and a double 50. This might be useful for the two days of training as was done in Chicago or for the hackathon.

If we go over 400 people we will need the Gordon Theater in the other building or consider having some overflow in other rooms. If we set the rooms for 200, 200, 80, and either 80 or 60 for the bulk of the conference we should have enough seats.

The dining hall is also in the Campus Center.

There are dorms on campus with space for up to 250 people. They are arranged as suites with three bedrooms that can each hold up to 2 people per room or 6/suite.

The rates for the dorms are one suite w/one person per night is $65.
One suite w/3 people per night is $25/per person
One suite w/6 people per night is $15/per person.
The linen is rented separately for about $20/per person/per week.

This does not account for AV equipment, janitors and other extras they will add, but it looks like we are close the budget Chicago had this year (see link below for details).

Their dining services are probably switching to a new provider before next June, but I have the current catering menu and we should be able to get two snacks a day for about $10/person like this year. Box lunches are currently $7 to $10. If we were to get adequate sponsorship we might be able to add lunch back to the program for the first time in many years.

The PATCO stops a few blocks from campus so those staying in the dorms can get there from the airport or 30th street station. I have not found cheap hotels near the PATCO or in center city. But there are hotels in Cherry Hill that are about $70/night and 3.5 miles away.

The River Sharks, Aquarium, and Battleship New Jersey are very close for field trips. Center city is a PATCO away for dinner.

Rutgers-Camden conference department
        http://campuscenter.camden.rutgers.edu/conference_services.html
Campus map
        http://maps.rutgers.edu/maps/default.aspx?campus=3?389,243