James Keenan on 26 Jul 2006 23:57:13 -0000

Re: a bid for YAPC::Philadelphia 2007

On Jul 26, 2006, at 12:42 PM, Hans Dieter Pearcey wrote:

Since both Mark and Walt are people who would probably end up helping
organize and/or run YAPC if we hosted it, does it make sense to wait
until they can make come to have the tour?

I think it's a mistake to assume that either (a) the people who've been running the local Perlmongers chapter or (b) the most famous Perl hackers in one's metropolitan area are necessarily people who are going to be heavily involved in organizing a YAPC.

While that was true of Toronto and Buffalo, I would say it wasn't true of Boca Raton or Chicago.

The prerequisite to a successful YAPC is the absolute determination of a core of local Perl hackers (2-3 minimum) to win the bid and put on a great conference. Those people don't have to be long-timers in their city or have a reputation as IT gurus. It might even be better if they were *not* the people running the local chapter because that would run the risk of overburdening them in the year leading up to the conference.

So my two cents is: If you've got a core of people who are ready to do the work, put in a bid!

Jim Keenan

P.S.: I prefer YAPCs in cities I can drive to ... and I certainly know how to drive to Philadelphia (not to mention the cheap motels at Exit 4 on the Jersey Pike).

-