R. Geoffrey Avery on 18 Aug 2006 01:51:15 -0000

Problems with YAPC::Philadelphia

Bad news Team,

At this point Rutgers has not yet been able to confirm that we would have wireless that works they way we need it (more than a class C and enough ports open like IRC). But more alarming is this passage in today's email from their conference coordinator...

My larger concern, at this juncture, is an anticipated renovation to our Dining Services to commence in the spring with work extending through the summer. At this point in the discussions with the contractor, we do not know what impact this will be on our services. I am not saying that we will not be able to accommodate your event, but at this point I would not want to commit to space in the Center and/or catering for that many guests.

With these and a few other problems I am ready to pull our proposal. If it works for you I am going to post this as our official response on http://news.perlfoundation.org/...

It is with much regret that Philly.pm and ABE.pm withdraw our proposal to host YAPC::NA 2007 at Rutgers-Camden. Next spring they will be renovating their dining operations along with parts of the Campus Center and are not able to commit to some of the space and services we need. Rather than risk a poor YAPC we will wait until we have a complete venue. We look forward to YAPC::NA in either Boston or Houston in 2007.

If anyone can spin this a little better please share.

- Geoff

-