Walt Mankowski on 26 Mar 2008 08:48:13 -0700

Re: Time zone

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:40:02AM -0400, Eric Roode wrote:
> Quoting Hans Dieter Pearcey <hdp@pobox.com>:
>
> > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:11:43AM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> > > Or make your module a subclass of DateTime?
> >
> > using DateTime would be a pretty big additional load.
> >
> > Eric, I think Walt meant that under cygwin you could use `date +%Z`, and use
> > POSIX::strftime everywhere else.
>
> Indeed.  I'm going to have to do something like this.

I was about to post something sayin that sounded like it would
probably work, but then I realized that it's probably difficult to
tell if a random user has installed cygwin.  Does DOS's time command
give a time zone?  If so, that's probably the safest approach.

> Walt: Fixing the POSIX bug is not out of the question, but that would still mean
> that everyone who has a POSIX.pm dated sometime between 12/1/2005 and [whenever
> the bug gets fixed] would not be able to use Time::Format (on cygwin, at
> least).

Yes, I can certainly see how that would be a problem.

> (POSIX.pm did not have this bug when I last updated Time::Format).

And interestingly, they don't seem to try %Z in their tests.

Walt