Chris Nehren on 4 Jul 2010 05:27:15 -0700

Re: tech events around Philadelphia

  • From: Chris Nehren <cnehren@pobox.com>
  • To: phl@lists.pm.org
  • Subject: Re: tech events around Philadelphia
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 08:26:32 -0400
  • Sender: owner-phl@lists.pm.org

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:37:29 +0300
Gabor Szabo <szabgab@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you maybe know if there are any Perl Mongers in Harrisburg?
> http://harrisburg.pm.org/ seems to be quite deserted.

Please note that as this is phl.pm that I speak for Philadelphia and
not Harrisburg. Considering the distance, I don't think you're going to
get anyone involved in harrisburg.pm on this list. Please consider
these sorts of things in the future when you send mail to pm lists.

Our Perl Mongers group is kind of dead. We're trying to fix that,
albeit indirectly (see below). Personally I wonder how many people in
the region do Perl as the main part of their job, full time, instead of
as a means to achieve some other end or as a hobby. I get the
impression that I'm the only one doing Perl full time, and I've
learned that it's hard for full-time professionals to relate to
hobbyists. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Perhaps I'm the odd one out, and it's the hobbyists and part time Perl
programmers who need to organize this group. That's fine with me; I've
got more than enough to do with dahut.pm (though at the same time I
would try to attend tech meetings). And I'm fine accepting that part
time hackers and hobbyists are in a totally different world than the
fulltime hacker. I've tried to tell hobbyists about Moose and Catalyst
and they unfailingly say they're overkill. I've shown them to fulltime
hackers and they're thanking me both then and hours, days later.

> Do you maybe know about other events that are not in the list yet?
> I'd be happy to add them to the list and then see if there is going
> to be any Perl related presence on those events.

There's http://hackadelphia.org that erikh and I are trying to start.
We've not yet had our first meeting yet, but we'll tell you how it
goes. The idea is to cast a wide net of tech people in the Philadelphia
metro region and then filter those interested in Perl back to the PM
group for regular tech meetings. Or, well, that's one of the ideas. My
real goal is to take over the world.

As Harrisburg is about halfway across the state and I don't drive, I
can't really help there. You'd likely get a better response by emailing
their list.

--
Thanks and best regards,
Chris Nehren