Eric Roode on 16 Nov 2011 10:17:33 -0800

Re: [Philadelphia-pm] Persistent data directory

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Chris Nehren <c.nehren/phl@shadowcat.co.uk> wrote:
On Nov 16, 2011, at 12:58, Mark Gardner wrote:

[...]
> As for *where* to store things (the original question), one system-wide place is the distribution's share directory, enabled by modules like File::ShareDir and File::Share. Other options for portably finding places to write include File::HomeDir and File::ConfigDir.

Eek, sorry I misunderstood. I'll concur with Mark's suggestion of File::ShareDir or File::HomeDir--though as you're on Windows these options may not put things where you otherwise expect.

S'okay, Chris. :-)

Mark:  Aha!  Very interesting; I hadn't known about those modules.  I wonder if there are any issues about *writing* files in those directories.  Probably not (although I'll be sure to lock filehandles properly)... but I should be prepared in case the directory is read-only.

Thank you!
-- Eric