Steven Grunza via plug on 6 Apr 2024 20:46:14 -0700

[PLUG] Pop OS on HP Laptop 14-dq0712ds

I got a new laptop for Christmas.  It came with Windows 11.  I'm trying to find a linux distribution to run on it.

Debian installed ok and was able to work with the wireless but after a day or two the wireless would no longer connect.  There was probably an update that caused the firmware to change/break.  None of the RTL8821CE drivers I could find would fix the issue.

Next attempt was Pop OS.  Pop OS apparently doesn't play nice with the security module so I cleared it in the BIOS and then disabled it.  Pop OS installation failed.  Grub started from the USB boot Flash drive but complained about "bad shim signature, need to load the kernel first".  Most of the things I could find to fix this where "turn off the security module" which I have already tried.

Now I'm trying Ubuntu.  So far, it's installed but incredibly slow.  I have an external 512GB USB drive for /usr and the rest is on the 64GB eMMC internal.  System memory is only 4GB.  I am trying to find out if the internal memory (RAM and storage) can be increased but haven't gotten reliable info on that yet.

Has anyone had success using linux on a low-end laptop using the RTL8821CE wireless card?