mike knerr on Fri, 5 Dec 1997 13:33:53 -0500 (EST)

Re: [PLUG] Untitled

> [...]
> >systems because I have to.  KDE just might change my mind.  It is, IMHO, the
>
> The Debian project leader, Bruce Parens, is hoping that GNOME
> (http://www.gnome.org) will become The "desktop" environment for X.
> The problem with KDE is that it is based on Qt which has a creative (or
> strange depending on one's perspective) license which does not pass the
> Sunsite or Debian criteria for free software

thats an interesting way to put it ;-) it is kindof confusing

as far as i know (for what thats worth) qt allows free distribution
for freely distributed products -- but maybe there is a twist that
wont allow placement on debian or sunsite?

but qt requires purchased license
for commercial distributions -- i read through their documentation
very briefly and it looks like individual licenses are required for
each developer/development station but then unlimited runtime
libraries (either dynamic or statically linked) can be distributed
with the apps dependent on qt (which is an ok deal)

what do you think?

> (http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines).  The problem
> with the GNOME project is that it is very young and is experiencing
> growing pains.
;(

--mike