LeRoy D. Cressy on Mon, 31 Aug 1998 20:31:17 -0400 (EDT)

PLUG Meeting

Philadelphia Linux Users Group

                        PLUG

TOPIC:  1.  Chris Fearnley has some Debian 2.0 CD's that he is
	    offering for $4.00.

	2.  We will have an open discussion on ISA plug n play
	    utility.  We discuss how Linux can be made to run and
	    operate some sound cards that want to occupy an IRQ
	    that is dedicated to another card that utilizes jumpers.
	    I am not the only one that has had serious troubles trying
	    to get a plug n play card to really occupy a free IRQ.

	    The Debian description for isapnptools reads as:

	    ISA Plug-And-Play configuration utilities.
	    This program is suitable for all systems, whether or
	    not they include a PnP BIOS. In fact, a PnP BIOS adds
	    some complications because it may already activate
	    some cards so that the drivers can find them, and these
	    tools can unconfigure them, or change their settings
	    causing all sorts of nasty effects.

	    With dire warnings such as these why would anyone in their
	    right mind ever buy a plug n play card for their system?
	    But now, it is almost impossible to find some cards that
	    are not plug n play.  Many systems today come with pre
	    configured ISA plug n play cards causing astronomical
	    troubles for the new Linux user and even for the Windoz
	    user.

	    All suggestions and comments are gratefully welcome in
	    this discussion.  There is a tremendous amount of
	    expertise in our fabulous group and as more new Linux
	    users come out, we are a shining light in the darkness
	    leading the path from the darkness of broken OS's.

WHERE:  Cyberloft Cafe
        1525 Walnut Street, 2nd floor
        Philadelphia, PA
        http://www.cyberloft.com
        215-564-4380

When:   Wednesday August 5, 1998
        7 PM

COST:   None

PLUG:   Philadelphia Linux Users Group meets the first Wednesday
        of every month.

Mostafa Eldefrawy (mostafa@netaxs.com) has been gracious and has
provided PLUG with their meeting space.  For superior web page
design see http://www.cyberloft.com/

Hope to see you at the Cyberloft,

LeRoy Cressy

--