ludi on Wed, 21 Oct 1998 13:23:49 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Linux

On Sun, 11 Oct 1998, Michael C. Finn wrote:

> My laptop with its 486DX2-50 cpu and win95 and 500 meg drive has been my
> main computer now for the past 3 1/2 years, and although I've added a
> portable CD-rom, and zip drive and 56K modem PCMCIA, it's time for
> updating to a desktop.

You don't mention how much RAM you have on the laptop, but my first "real"
Linux machine (my actual first one was a .99 that used a boot floppy, bah)
was an IBM Thinkpad 486DX2/50 that had 20 MB RAM. It ran great. Maybe you
should use the laptop for that.

> I find that I mostly use a computer for Internet, BBS work, some
> correspondence, and spreadsheets, mostly personnal ones but a few for my
> parish church.

This would be a perfect case for Linux with Applixware. Applixware is
kinda like MS office, but cooler. You can even write out word 95 doc files
if needed.

> Since my major interest in computers is that of a hobbyist/enthusiast
> and since understanding Windows9x requires too much of an investiment in
> time and high priced software, I am wondering if I should just build
> myself a Linux computer or else buy a wintel setup that can also boot
> Linux. The win98 side would be for compatibility with my family and
> friends but the Linux is for me to play and learn with.

Compatability. Pshaw. You could set up SAMBA and look like an NT server to
them if you are worried about networking. There are ways around other
issues.

> I notice that Caldera, Red Hat, and Slackware seem to be most used
> distributions of Linux other than downloading it from the Internet. If I
> want to dual boot, what distribution of Linux should I go for? What
> hardware limitations should I be aware of before I buy? What size ram
> and hard drive is best? Does Linux support the newer plug and play
> modems and stuff?

IMHO, RedHat is the easiest to install. I try to avoid plug and play
stuff.

-Paul