Martin DiViaio on Mon, 26 Oct 1998 06:14:34 -0500 (EST)

Re: Two questions...

Michael C. Toren wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Martin DiViaio wrote:
>
> > Second, when I installed Linux on my NEC laptop, I accidentally
> > corrupted the suspend partition. NEC insists the only way to get it back
> > is to run a dos utility called phdisk. My question is will phdisk see
> > "something wrong" with my Linux partitions and try to "fix" them?
>
> I know that IBM Thinkpads have a "hibernation" feature which swaps out all
> memory to a file it creates on the first harddisk partition.  If the first
> partition is not FAT16, hibernation mode is disabled.  (There is also a
> "suspension" mode, which is what is normally activated when the lid is
> closed. Suspension mode does /not/ swap out to disk).
>
> I have never personally played with or used an NEC laptop, but it's
> conceivable they have a similar feature that uses it's own partition
> instead of a hidden file on a DOS filesystem.  If this is the case, and if
> this partition was destroyed while fdisking in preparation for Linux, it
> could explain why you are not able to place your laptop in suspend mode.
> Ofcourse, this is all speculation.

My NEC has two types of 'suspend' mode. The first is basically a low
power mode. It uses just enough power to keep the memory alive but
nothing else. The second uses a disk partition to save the exact memory
contents and then powers down the system.

The point is moot anyway. I did some digging around in NEC's website and
managed to find a few instructions on using phdisk. It requires that a
FAT16 partition exhist on the hard disk to handle what they call
"overhead." Since I don't have any FAT type partitions on my system any
more I can't run phdisk. Oh well...

--
                    /)-._    | It may be better to be a live jackal than
                   Y. ' _]   | a dead lion, but it is better still to be