Michael C. Toren on Mon, 26 Oct 1998 00:11:30 -0500 (EST)

Re: Two questions...

On Sun, 25 Oct 1998, Martin DiViaio wrote:

> First, what time is the PLUG meeting? I know it is the first Wednesday
> of the month at the Cyber Cafe.

I believe that meetings are held at 7 PM, however it has been several
months since I have been able to attend one.  Check next month's
announcement (which will be sent to this mailing list) just to be sure.

> Second, when I installed Linux on my NEC laptop, I accidentally
> corrupted the suspend partition. NEC insists the only way to get it back
> is to run a dos utility called phdisk. My question is will phdisk see
> "something wrong" with my Linux partitions and try to "fix" them?

I know that IBM Thinkpads have a "hibernation" feature which swaps out all
memory to a file it creates on the first harddisk partition.  If the first
partition is not FAT16, hibernation mode is disabled.  (There is also a
"suspension" mode, which is what is normally activated when the lid is
closed. Suspension mode does /not/ swap out to disk).

I have never personally played with or used an NEC laptop, but it's
conceivable they have a similar feature that uses it's own partition
instead of a hidden file on a DOS filesystem.  If this is the case, and if
this partition was destroyed while fdisking in preparation for Linux, it
could explain why you are not able to place your laptop in suspend mode.
Ofcourse, this is all speculation.

Do you have a copy of your partition table prior to, and after installing
Linux?

--
Michael Toren      work: mct@netaxs.com       Compilers optimize
Net Access NOC     play: mct@netisland.net    better in the dark