Adam on Wed, 25 Nov 1998 15:45:44 -0500 (EST)

[Fwd: OK, I've got a question!]

Hmm. I don't understand. If you use the driver as a module instead of in
the kernel and insmod (drivername) wouldn't this do it for you?

--
Adam

____________________
++ATH0

/-\ |\ /-\ (\/)

     "Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes."

--- Begin Message ---
I don't believe there is a way of doing this.  I find
this to be an inconvienience, as I have a jaz drive,
and would like to have the driver loaded (because I'm
not into modules), and be able to tell it to find the
drave after the initialization of the driver at boot.
To my knowledge with Linux there is no current way to
do this.

To add to the list of how other UNIX implementations do
it, I like solaris:

drvconfig && disks

Andy

:
:Hello all:
:
:The recent comments about the lack of activity on the Linux
:list has gotten me thinking. Does anyone know (off the top
:of their head) the answer to this SCSI question:
:
:Situation: If a SCSI device is turned off at the time the
:computer is booted, the SCSI portion of the kernel code will
:not discover it and will not create the appropriate device
:node in the /dev directory.
:
:Problem: I had heard that using module loaded drivers for
:SCSI will allow me to stop and re-start the SCSI driver,
:effectively forcing a re-discovery with each modlule load.
:But I don't have time to do this right now.
:
:Solution: Is there a way to discover SCSI devices after boot
:time using a kernel loaded SCSI driver?
:
:Aside: SVR4 does this with the 'mktable' command, and AIX
:has its own command 'cfgmgr.'
:
:Well, hope I have broken the boredom!
:
:Regards: Ira.
:
:
:
:
:
:
:

If I'm having fun, sympathize 'cause it's easy to get bored.  I
don't have time to waste, I'm busy cultivating useless good taste.

				-Helmet

--- End Message ---