ChrisB on Fri, 27 Nov 1998 11:05:50 -0500 (EST)

Need help with SSI's

Here's a question related to apache (or cgi) on my Debian box. It seems
like a trivial thing, but without it, I have no SSI's. I've tried to
include as many details as possible, hoping to find the one little piece
missing.

I'm trying to test html and cgi running them locally at
http://127.0.0.1
I can get HTML pages which call up regular cgi's (forms, random_image,
etc) to work fine. I can't seem to get ssi's embedded in html  pages to
work though.

Here's the details: I'm running Debian 2.0 with Apache 1.3.0-2
HTML files are in /var/www/ and cgi are in /usr/lib/cgi-bin/

I edited srm.conf appropriately by uncommenting the following lines:

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

AddType text/html .shtml
AddHandler server-parsed .shtml

As well as having in access.conf:

<Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
AllowOverride None
Options FollowSymlinks ExecCGI Includes
</Directory>

I also uncommented in httpd.conf:

LoadModule includes_module .

Here's the problem. Take the typical remote_host.cgi script for example.
If I execute it directly from the URL box in the browser like so:
http://127.0.0.1/usr/lib/cgi-bin/remote_host.cgi

No problem. I get returned a simple:
127.0.0.1
(I could also do the same with hello.cgi and I get "hello world")

However if I embed it in a simple .shtml file as such:

<!--#exec cgi="/cgi-bin/remote_host.cgi" -->

I get nothing. I've even tried using the whole path in the .shtml file
like so:

<!--#exec cgi="http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/remote_host.cgi"; -->

or even

<!--#exec cgi="/usr/lib/cgi-bin/remote_host.cgi" -->

Still nothing.  All permissions and directory locations of html and cgi
files are correct. Any suggestions?

Another question: how do I restart Apache after I've changed a .conf
file?
The Apache doc says to kill it use:
kill -TERM `cat /usr/local/apache/logs/httpd.pid`

or to use HUP to restart...but I've got no path like this at all. Any
suggestions?

Thanks
Chris Biordi