alibby on Wed, 9 Dec 1998 16:04:55 -0500 (EST)

Re: Cable Modems

I've never done it personally, but I used to work for a
cable company with a significant deployment of cable modems
both single and bi-directional.  If you've got the bridge type, which
is bi-directional, and connects to your system via ethernet,
usually the only complexity is the dhcp configuration.  The modem
will boot itself from a node on the cable network.

If you've got a single direction cable modem, and still need
your telephone line for upstream, as far as I know, you're out
of luck.  They need special software, on a per vendor basis (drivers
if you will) to interface with them.

my $0.02.

Andy

:
:Hi,  has anyone tried to connect a cable modem to their Linux box
:successfully?
:
:--
:To unsubscribe, send a message with the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject
:or body of your message to plug-request@lists.nothinbut.net
:
:

If I'm having fun, sympathize 'cause it's easy to get bored.  I
don't have time to waste, I'm busy cultivating useless good taste.

				-Helmet