Chris Fearnley on Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:02:01 -0500 (EST)

Re: Does anyone have

On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 12:08:43PM -0500, Kurt Starsinic wrote:
> Scott Fraser wrote:
> >
> > >         Does anyone have drivers for Compaq's line of server Ethernet
> > cards?
> > > I think they're called "netiquette" They're the standard cards on the
> > <<
> >
> > I have used the Thunderlan ("tlan") driver with DeskPro's and their
> > integrated "NetFlex" controller.  It might work with other cards.
> > However, as recent as last week I was using the 1.0 tlan, and still had
> > problems on kernel 2.0.36.  Tcpdump showed me getting extra malformed
> > acks back from the compaq.  So the card sort of worked but the extra
> > acks were really screwing things up big time.  I had to give up and
> > disable the onboard card, and then install a 3Com and use that.
> >
> > One thing to watch out for on Compaqs is they apparently have a
> > proprietary pci bios where they map it into some weird plice high in
> > memory.  Some of the drivers out there (including some by Becker) have
> > notes in the code about this, and places where you can even hard code
> > things that normally would be auto-detected.
>
>     I have a Compaq Proliant 3000 running NT; the Control Panel claims
> that it has a Compaq Netelligent adaptor.  I intend to get Linux running
> on it soon.  Should I expect to have headaches with this controller, too?

Netelligent adaptor don't work under Linux, but you should be able to
replace them with NE2000 or somesuch.  Also, it might be smart to
leave the Compaq DOS partition.  I believe it is the only way to
change the BIOS settings.

--
Christopher J. Fearnley          |  Linux/Internet Consulting
cjf@netaxs.com                   |  Design Science Revolutionary