LeRoy D. Cressy on Mon, 21 Dec 1998 16:27:44 -0500 (EST)

Re: Getting one file from an package

Martin DiViaio wrote:

> Is it at all possible to get just one file from an RPM package? I've
> read just about all the documentation I can find on RPM and there is no
> mention of it. So, if this isn't possible, is it possible to get rpm to
> install the package in a subdirectory?

Sinse I don't use a distribution that uses rpm, is there anyway to find
if rpm format uses the tar or ar archiver?

The following is from RPM-HOWTO.txt:

 3.2.  RPM Requirements

  The main requirement to run RPM is Perl 5.x.  All of RPM is written in
  Perl.  You must also have a working copy of cpio and gunzip, which
  most Linux distributions have now.  While this system is intended for
  use with Linux, it may very well be portable to other Unix systems who
  meet the above conditions.  Be warned, the binary packages generated
  on a different type of Unix system will not be compatible.

  Those are the minimal requirements to install RPMs.  To build RPMs
  from source, you also need everything normally required to build a
  package, like gcc, make, etc.

Rpm has also been written in perl so it is easy to look at the source
code.
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037