David L. Martin on Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:18:06 -0500 (EST)

Re: Floppy drive woes...

On Mon, 4 Jan 1999, LeRoy D. Cressy wrote:
> David L. Martin wrote:
> >
> > While trying to make a new boot disk for another PC, I popped a floppy out
> > of the drive while it was still mounted.  Now "mount" always shows the
> > drive busy, and "dd" always shows it full.  Even HARD and SOFT reboots
> > don't fix it, yet the drive continues to function fine in DOS.
> >
> > Does anyone have a clue?
>
> Well ... There are a couple of things that you might try,
>
> What does the boot mesages say concerning the floppy drive?
>
> ~/$ dmesg | grep Floppy
> Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M
>
>     -and -
>
> ~/$ dmesg | grep FDC
> FDC 0 is a post-1991 82077
>
> if the floppy checks out from the boot messages, then try remounting the
> floppy drive.
>
> ~/# mount -o remount,rw -t msdos /dev/fd0
> ~/# mount -o remount,rw -t minix /dev/fd0
>
> The two above examples are for either a dos or a minix floppy.
>
> If none of these work, try using the mcommands.
>
> mformat a:
> mcopy

Still not working, here's what I tried:

command [dmesg | grep Floppy] :
Floppy drive(s): fd0 is 1.44M

command [dmesg | grep FDC] :
FDC 0 is a National Semiconductor PC87306

command [mount -o rw -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy]:
mount: /dev/fd0 already mounted or /mnt/floppy busy
{  note:
   I rmdir'd floppy and recreated to make sure /mnt/floppy was not in use.
   The remount option did not work either.
}

command [mformat a:] :
mformat: Can't open /dev/fd0: Device or resource busy

Any ideas would be appreciated...

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.