alibby on Tue, 5 Jan 1999 09:33:22 -0500 (EST)

Re: Floppy drive woes...

:command [mformat a:] :
:mformat: Can't open /dev/fd0: Device or resource busy
:
:Any ideas would be appreciated...
:
:David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
:R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti
:
:Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.
:
:
:--
:To unsubscribe, send a message with the word 'unsubscribe' in the subject
:or body of your message to plug-request@lists.nothinbut.net
:
:
:

If you do a 'mount' command does it claim the floppy is mounted?
Do you see any activity on the drive when you type any of the above
mentioned commands, and lastly, try (on a blank disk) dd'ing something
(say a kernel) to the floppy (dd if=/boot/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0).  You could
also check to see if the file /dev/fd0 exists, and is a file looking
like:

brw-rw-r--   1 root     floppy     2,   0 May  5  1998 /dev/fd0

the 2,   0 are particularly important.  You could also check the contents
of /etc/mtab.  But by typing mount, you're doing the same thing.  It could
be the the system thinks that /dev/fd0 is mounted, because it's listed in
/etc/mtab (which I'm thinking should be cleared out when the system goes
down gracefully).

my $ 0.02.  Hope it's helpful.

Andy

If I'm having fun, sympathize 'cause it's easy to get bored.  I
don't have time to waste, I'm busy cultivating useless good taste.

				-Helmet