Roger Scudder on Thu, 7 Jan 1999 00:03:13 -0500 (EST)

Re: New User trying to get up and running

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, ChrisB wrote:

> > get very eaily 'confused'. If I get impatient I can't click 'STOP
> > my 64 MEG system.
> >     My feeling is that LINUX is not properly allocating programs in my
> > memory. Any thoughts??
>
> Blame Netscape before Linux. They've put much more effort into the Windows
> version than the UNIX version.

I think you are absolutely right that the problem is with Navigator.

I haven't noticed any difference in load time between Linux and MS-Win
versions, but I do suspect a serious memory leak problem in the Linux
version.

On more than one occasion Navigator has used up all resources (32Mb
RAM + 64Mb swap) my system has and refused to release any.  The only
option is to quit and restart to free up resources  (same as with
any application with a bad memory leak problem).

It seems to only happen during intense interactive use; for instance
when using an online web page editor.  While the MS-Win version is
very memory hungry, it does seem to manage memory properly.