ChrisB on Wed, 6 Jan 1999 15:34:50 -0500 (EST)

Re: New User trying to get up and running

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, artworks wrote:

> Hi -
>
>    I am now on my 30th installation of Linux and hope to
> keep this one or maybe  one or two down the line.
>
>   My most recent attempt is using Caldera Open Linux 1.3, basically
> trying to rely on the KDE GUI, LISA, etc.
>
>   Current issues:
>
> 1)   I've been trying to get Netscape running. Iv'e installed Netscape
> 3.0 GOLD - this seems alot cleaner than 4.0 - 'OPTIONS' is
> only one click down, etc. It seems to load about 20 times slower
> than the same program running under Windows 95.

This is a common complaint. The reason is that the native Windows graphics
libraries are already in memory in Windows, so only the application
needs to be loaded, whereas the Linux version of Netscape must also load
the Motif libraries.  You'll notice that once it's loaded, it runs just as
fast as the Windows version.

There is help on the way. The next version of Netscape will use the GTK
libraries instead of Motif. GTK is the native libraries for the GNOME
system. It'll load much faster then (if you're using GNOME).

> It also seems to
> get very eaily 'confused'. If I get impatient I can't click 'STOP
> my 64 MEG system.
>     My feeling is that LINUX is not properly allocating programs in my
> memory. Any thoughts??

Blame Netscape before Linux. They've put much more effort into the Windows
version than the UNIX version.

> 2) I am trying to get my 'delete' and 'end' keys to work in KDE
>     and 'startx'.
>
>     'Delete' works backward instead of forward.

This is another common issue. Please remember that UNIX (VT100), Mac, and
PC's all have different ideas about how the backspace and delete keys
should work. I don't know about KDE, but for your shell there is a file
called .inputrc which you can place in your home directory for your
preferences. I'll email mine to you later.