artworks on Wed, 6 Jan 1999 12:26:24 -0500 (EST)

New User trying to get up and running

Hi -

   I am now on my 30th installation of Linux and hope to
keep this one or maybe  one or two down the line.

  My most recent attempt is using Caldera Open Linux 1.3, basically
trying to rely on the KDE GUI, LISA, etc.

  Current issues:

1)   I've been trying to get Netscape running. Iv'e installed Netscape
3.0 GOLD - this seems alot cleaner than 4.0 - 'OPTIONS' is
only one click down, etc. It seems to load about 20 times slower
than the same program running under Windows 95. It also seems to
get very eaily 'confused'. If I get impatient I can't click 'STOP
my 64 MEG system.
    My feeling is that LINUX is not properly allocating programs in my
memory. Any thoughts??

2) I am trying to get my 'delete' and 'end' keys to work in KDE
    and 'startx'.

    'Delete' works backward instead of forward.

   a)I have looked at 'man xmodmap' and can't make heads or tails of
   it, other than to figure out that it only runs in an X-window.

   b) ONce I get the right instruction sequence, what file do I store
   it in so that it is executed any time I aneter Xwindows or KDE??

  I  have been using the email support that they include with
Caldera 1.3 package with variable success and have one or two questions
and a few days left on their limited 'free' email support policy
so please feel free to suggest if there is something useful that
they may be able to help with.

  Also, while I am somewhat more satisfied with the system as configured
with Caldera Open Linux 1.3 than I have been with an aborted attempt
at RedHat using Linux Pro but have no special loyalties to this system
and would scrap it in a second in favor of another system that may
be supreior (I have at my disposal discs from Slackware and Debian
etc.) - Is there anything useful on these disks and can I get to
it without scrapping my current installation ?

Sincerly,
Arthur Newmark
artworks@concetric.net