Rebecca Ore on Thu, 7 Jan 1999 20:23:00 -0500 (EST)

Re: Does anyone know anything about Wheat Computers

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 08:04:55PM -0500, Tracy Nelson wrote:
> Don't forget the Corel NetWinders.  They look nice -- 275MHz StrongARM

The idea was to support something more or less Northeast Coastean.
Corel appeared to be Canadian and VA is not in Virginia but in
California.  I did find some less expensive items on the VA site
(squinting vigorously at the tiny type geared to keeping 50 year old
fogies off their machines).

I'm really getting more curious about Acorn after seeing the other
site, not that good web design would necessarily reflect good machine
design, but if they fup up, I can go down to Maryland and rip their
lungs out.  The New Hampshire guys offer a longer warrantee on hardware,
though, even longer than VA, though I know that hardware either fails
fairly quickly or lives quite a long time.

My experience with shipping is that West Coast sites do take longer and
when one has spent more money than one should for a box, which is always
the case with me, those extra days aren't fun.

The alternative would be to go the brass ovaries route and build
something I really wanted from scratch.

--
Rebecca Ore
Creativity is playing with the rule sets