Rebecca Ore on Thu, 7 Jan 1999 21:23:11 -0500 (EST)

Re: Does anyone know anything about Wheat Computers

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 08:52:52PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Rebecca Ore <rebecca.ore@op.net>:
> > You think I could talk them into /bribing me to recommend/ donating a
> > box to me as a s.f. novelist whose next book will be about open source,
> > cancelling, and ideas as property?
>
> You could try.  But I don't think it's very likely.

The reason I'm so amazed by this is that after your speech, I went to
work at the NOC wondering who will benefit from open source, really.
And of course, it will be the hardware vendors, who were the first
beneficiaries of the computer revolution in the days of machine code and
an earlier version of open source.  It's the one thing that can't be
duplicated easily, like the backbones are for the Net.

And the hardware people are already grateful.  Appropriately, with
money.

> > VA research web design is unreadable without putting Netscape up full
> > screen, by the way.  Um, just checked -- not even then.  How is it under
> > Lynx?
>
> I don't know.  I just tried them in a 640x480 Netscape window with 123-point
> type.  It looks OK to me.

I run 16 bit color with 1020 8** (whatever) and even after I reset the
point size in Netscape, I could hardly make out the type on the left
hand side of the screen.  Sigh.  But then I'm old enough to remember the
Payola Scandals.  I have old eyes, one lens is plastic.

> > > (Someone else mentioned Penguin Computing; it was was founded by a
> > > former VAR employee, my friend Sam Ockman).
> >
> > Um, so why do they pay people to recommend them?
>
> Too many pronouns.  Who's paying who?

Penguin gives kick-backs to people who get other people to buy them,
from what was posted here.

Or at least that's what it sounded like from what was posted earlier.

The guys in New Hampshire look better and better :).  They're in a part
of the country where the weather reinforces the work ethic, close enough
to get to, and haven't given computers to key players yet, at least not
that I know about.

God wants me to write this novel, because she keeps throwing neat new
stuff at me for it.

--
Rebecca Ore
*and people keep telling me Maxwell won't load from the command line*