Michael C. Toren on Mon, 11 Jan 1999 19:44:49 -0500 (EST)

Re: PLUG in Newsweek

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999, Jason Lenthe wrote:

> Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 18:59:39 -0500
> From: Jason Lenthe <lenthe@mailhost.sju.edu>
> To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
> Subject: PLUG in Newsweek
>
> PLUG was mentioned in this week's edition of Newsweek in an article on
> Open Source and Linux.  I thought it was cool that PLUG was mentioned.

See http://www.newsweek.com/nw-srv/printed/us/st/ty0103_1.htm if you don't
have a print copy.  I wouldn't count on that URL working once a new print
edition hits the news stands, though.

PLUG is mentioned in the first few lines.  Here's a copy of the first
paragraph:

    Code Warriors

    The grass-roots 'open source'
    software movement is no longer
    just a hacker cult. It could end up
    challenging mighty Microsoft.

    By Steven Levy

    The owner of the suddenly tiny Cyber Loft cafi stopped counting at 70
    people. "It's never been this crowded before," he said of the
    pasty-skinned mass of keyboard-clicking humanity that braved bitter
    temperatures to attend last Wednesday night's meeting of the
    Philadelphia Linux Users Group. The attraction was Eric Raymond, a
    flannel-shirted 40-year-old programmer who has emerged as the principal
    philosopher of the "open source" movement, the hottest thing going in
    software today biggest threat to Microsoft that's not on the government
    payroll.