Rebecca Ore on Tue, 12 Jan 1999 02:33:54 -0500 (EST)

Re: beware of perl-5.005_02-1.i386.rpm

On Tue, Jan 12, 1999 at 12:07:28AM -0500, Eugene Sotirescu wrote:
> RH users who try to upgrade their Perl  should t(h)read lightly:
>
> The perl-5.005_02-1.i386.rpm has been compiled with threads enabled which causes
> all kinds of unexpected behavior. Stay away from it  unless you really want
> experimental stuff.

I had to compile perl to get vile to compile with perl modules.  The
neat thing about compiling perl is that it installed right over the rpm
in /usr/bin.  The somewhat less neat thing about compiling perl is that
the configuration is about half of what a kernel configuration is.  Make
sure you know which compiler you're using.

The defaults, other than that, can be accepted as is for the most part,
though.  And my earlier Perl baby steps programs didn't break.

Vile won't compile with the Perl that comes with RedHat-5.1, either.

If you like playing with vi clones, I've got a small collection of vile
toys and a .vilerc that gives a nice interface.

--
Rebecca Ore
Creativity is playing with the rule sets