Walt Mankowski on Fri, 15 Jan 1999 00:43:46 -0500 (EST)

Re: unfortunately . . .

On Fri, Jan 15, 1999 at 12:09:07AM -0500, Eugene Sotirescu wrote:
> . . . I can't seem to be able to build a fortune database.
> Here's what I'm trying (RH 5.2):
>
>  /usr/share/games/fortunes
> # /usr/games/fortune test > test.dat
> fortune: test corrupted
>
> (test is a copy of an existing fortune file, called education).
>
> Anybody into this kind of frivolousness?

Why not?

fortune is used to read fortunes, but it isn't used to create the
database in the first place.  For that you need the strfile command.
(It's in /usr/sbin in my RH 5.1.)

Just say

/usr/sbin/strfile test

and you should have a new file called test.dat.  Then

fortune test

should give you an education fortune.  Hey, at least it worked for me.
Good luck.

Walt Mankowski