LeRoy D. Cressy on Sun, 17 Jan 1999 07:15:29 -0500 (EST)

Re: Newbie still struggling - very basic questions

Hi Arthur,

artworks wrote:

> To PLUG
>
> Question #1 - VERY EASY???
>
>    Having created a script file that seems useful to have at
> startup - how do I get it executed. (I'm looking for the
> equivalent of DOS autoexec.bat)

chmod +x filename will make the file as an executable.

>   I have created a script file which more or less gets some
> of my sound features running. I tested it several times and
> it seems to work, so I added a line pointing to it at
> the end of /etc/inittab. It does not seem to get executed.
> Where should I put it ?

You shouldn't mess with your inittab file sinse it describes the
runlevels and such.  If you want to make a script execute upon startup
of a specific runlevel ie runlevel 2, then make the script part of the
runlevel 2 startup procedure.  I don't know how Redhat or Caldera does
this, but Debian uses /etc/rc2.d/ directory to define the scripts that
are executed upon startup of runlevel 2.  Debian puts all startup
scripts for all runlevels in /etc/init.d/

> Question #2 -
>     At the suggestion of one of the internet help files, I copied
> the script I referred to above.
>
>   The final line is:
>
> insmod op13 io=0x388
>
>   This results in a message:
>      Can't open /libs/modules/misc/op13.o
>
>    I created a link such that this is a meaningful command (linking
> to the same named file in another directory) - I guess insmod is
> pointing to a directory convention from an installation other than
> the Caldera version I'm using.
>
>   - What is this statement trying to do? Should I try to fix this and
> how?

insmod is a module loader that loads a module that was compiled by the
kernel.  Only root should load modules into a running system.  Read the
man page on insmod for more info.  It is very comprehensive and will
help you a lot.

> Question #3
>     I finally have Dr. Dos pointing to my DOS drives. Id\s there
> some way to get the DOS assign command working so that I can
> point the C-pseudo drive to another letter and then assign my
> 'real' c drive to C: ????

Read the dosemu howto and man page.  There are several files that you
have to configure to get it working properly.  Most distributions like
yours defaults to a pseudo dos file system, and you need to change the
distribution defaults to where your actual drives are.  For instance,
/dev/hda3 = /dosc on my system.

I realize that I asked you to do a lot of reading, but without the
background from the reference material, you will never fully understand
about the various utilities and applications.  Also, where I described
the Debian method, you can determine the directory from inittab where
the startup scripts are called from.

Four years ago, when I first started with Linux, the most useful book
that I bought was "Essential System Administration", by AEleen Frisch.
This book covers every flavor of UNIX and has the answers to all of the
questions that you are asking.  Get this book and read it from cover to
cover.  The generic Linux books will get you installed and are helpful,
but when a problem arises they usually don't cover the territory that
this book covers.

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037