Sean J. Brown on Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:06:06 -0500 (EST)

Re: ADSL

Well, I've been awaiting the arrival of ADSL here in West Bradford outside
Downingtown since last August.  I'm currently an ISDN customer and they've
made promises of a sweetheart deal for the migration to ADSL which sounded
pretty good.

BellAtlantic at first mentioned ADSL arriving at the end of October, then it
slipped to the end of November.  It snuck behind my back to the middle of
December, then to the end of the month because, what the hell, with the
holidays and all.  By Christmas they were promising the end of January, but
of course they'd lost all credibility inspite of my seasonal generosity of
spirit.

Last I checked (today), at http://www.bell-atl.com/adsl, the service to my
area IS available.  Querying further reveals that while it is in Downingtown,
ADSL is not yet available to my home... should be ready soon.  I'm  sure.

Sean J. Brown
Techadvisors, Inc.

P.S.  BTW, here's the ADSL pricing info from their website:

Monthly Pricing for DSL line plus Internet access package.

Personal Infospeed
(Infospeed 640 Kbps & BellAtlantic.net)
$59.95

Professional Infospeed
(Infospeed 1.6 Mbps & BellAtlantic.net)
$109.95

Power Infospeed
(Infospeed 7.1 Mbps & BellAtlantic.net)
$189.95

Pricing for DSL line service only.

Infospeed 640 Kbps
$39.95

Infospeed 1.6 Mbps
$59.95

Infospeed 7.1 Mbps
$109.95

One-time charges include the following:

Service Connection Charge: $99.00
DSL Modem: $325.00
Turnkey Home Installation: $99.00

Please note that if you do not already have an Ethernet card, you will need
to purchase one from Bell Atlantic or any other retail provider of Ethernet
cards.

The minimum PC system requirements for Infospeed DSL at present are:

Windows 95/98 or NT 4.0
Intel Pentium/Pentium Pro/Pentium MMX/Pentium II, AMD K5/K6, or
Cyrix 586/686 processor
32MB RAM
25MB free hard drive space
resources to accommodate an Ethernet card if one is not already
present (available slot, available IRQ, available I/O resources)

The Apple iMac meets the necessary requirements for Infospeed DSL. Other
Macintosh models will be supported starting in 1999.