I. S. Clavner on Thu, 21 Jan 1999 14:58:49 -0500 (EST)

[Fwd: Story: Take the Linux Plunge? How to Persuade Your Boss]

--- Begin Message ---
Please send this to PLUG (Mention thant I am sending)

http://www.zdnet.com/anchordesk/story/story_3011.html
Title: Story: Take the Linux Plunge? How to Persuade Your Boss

GET SHOPPING!

Click Here to Join FREE!

Buy Smart. Buy Fast. BuyDirect

Free Email Account

X10.com - The SuperSite for Home Automation!

Click here and be enlightened

ZDNet AnchorDesk Next Story

Berst Alert
Jesse Berst, Editorial Director<BR><I>ZDNet AnchorDesk</I> THURSDAY, JANUARY 21, 1999
How to Persuade Your Boss to Take the Linux Plunge

Jesse Berst, Editorial Director
ZDNet AnchorDesk

When my (admittedly wacky) staff tries to talk me into something, each one uses a different method. Tech Director Jon DeKeles argues the technical merits. Web doyenne Annette Hamilton tries to overwhelm me with cyber-buzzwords. Our GenX gadget guru Nicci Noteboom persuades with promises of fewer personal phone calls and coffee breaks.

But I'm a cold, hard, logical man (just ask my staff). And I respond best to cold, hard logic.

Which brings me to Linux, subject of today's Special Edition. This open source software has generated lots of emotion. But if it is ever to join the mainstream as a bona fide rival to Windows NT, Linux will have to provide logical business reasons, not just religious zeal.

Written eight years ago by Linus Torvalds, then a Finnish grad student, Linux is not only free but boasts a reputation for stability. "We in the engineering companies around NASA in Florida are seeing increased interest in Linux," writes system admin Kirt Merrill. "It is stable, and fast. The more people I talk to, the more I hear about Linux. Some have implemented, some are trying it more slowly."

If you're a systems admin, you're already convinced Linux is worth a look at the very least. But you still have to convince the folks upstairs. Luckily, several recent developments make Linux more and more logical as a safe, corporate choice:

Windows 2000: Microsoft's soon-to-be flagship product is faltering. Click for more.

Reliability: For must-stay-up applications, Linux is less crash-prone than Windows NT. Such solidity is why, to cite but one example, retail chain Jay Jacobs is installing a Linux-based inventory management system. Click for more.

Support: Until recently, Linux was a tough sell because product support was sketchy. No longer. Not with Caldera Systems, Informix and Red Hat Software distributing Linux. (Click for more.) Heck, even old boys IBM and Compaq Computer support the OS now. Click for more.

Customizable: Because the source code isn't secret, Linux can be tailored to meet your company's needs. Click for more.

Price: Depending on where you get it, Linux software costs nothing or almost nothing. Click for more. The real costs derive from monitoring and supporting the OS. And since Linux crashes less, support should cost less.

Powerful arguments indeed. But first, a word of warning. Linux isn't for everybody. It's way too techie for lone desktops and small offices. Linux is a Unix offspring, so don't consider it unless you're a veteran computer user with Unix experience.

Should you decide to tackle Linux, these are helpful resources:

But first check out the rest of the stories in today's Special Edition:

Jon DeKeles has a Linux toolkit with free downloads. Click for more.
Ben Elgin reveals what resellers are doing to get a piece of the freeware pie. Click for more.
Henry Kingman presents a Linux primer with starter tips and tricks. Click for more.

What is your take on Linux? Are you reluctant to try it -- or a big fan? Use the TalkBack button below to send me a message directly. And join my Berst Alerts forum to talk it over with other AnchorDesk readers. Oh yes, please take the Quick Poll. I may respond best to cold, hard logic. But everybody else around here thinks prevailing sentiment ought to count for something.

Which best describes your attitude about Linux:
I'd like to see my company move to Linux.
My company already uses Linux.
I hope my company never moves to Linux.

Email this Story to a Friend

Print this Story - Printer-friendly format

Got a Comment? Post a TalkBack message.

AnchorDesk Acromaina

TALKBACK:

Don't forget slashdot.org — Gerald H Branigan
Jesse, I am a bit surprised there was no mention of Corel's support for Linux or a link to slashdot.org , both of which may be of interest to your readers Read More

I tried Linux and I *never* want to switch to it — Mark Young
I hope that our company NEVER switches to Linux. Read More

Six steps to success from an experienced Linux user — Gerry Creager
Be still, my beating heart! Linux has finally arrived. Read More

Desktoppers should try Linux — Mark Johnson
I have to question your suggestion that only veteran users with Unix experience should try it on a desktop. I agree, trying out on your office desktop my bring the boss's wrath, there's no reason why a reasonably competent Windows user shouldn't be able to give Linux a try. Read More

Do you have a personal grudge against Microsoft? — Charlie McLaurin
You've got to be kidding. You're pushing Linux so hard, you'd think you were on their payroll or something. What's the deal? Read More

I believed the NT marketing until I used it — Tim Gibney
Linux is a pain but it's stable — John De Witte
There's more to an OS than performance. Microsoft is not dead yet — Eran Sigler
You are deluded, get a f*ing life — Dave Smith
If delivered as part of a solution, customers don't care which OS — Paul Vogel
Why is FreeBSD (or NetBSD or OpenBSD) never mentioned? — Stuart Krivis
At our lab, the smartest techies run Linux — James Callahan
Does everybody have shares in Microsoft? — Mark Leaver
The problem with Linux is application support — Nick Galea
Maybe BillG will try to acquire Linux — wayne dooley
If you know what a DLL is, you can handle Linux — Kurt A. Seiffert
Linux is anything but free — David Thomson
We found Linux ran as fast as DOS — Mr. Estel L. Cooper
If only Linux was more graphical — Hal Nash
Linux is a viable option on the desktop — Mark Redding
Friends at Compaq and HP use Linux — Craig Murray
Small office? Linux is ideal — Adam Iles
Linux is like dandruff — Alexandre Hebra
I think you talked around the true solution — Jeremy Kingry
Stability and reliability are not enough — John Karper
So, has your staff asked for LINUX? — Raymond Tweedale
I have no intention of taking the techie plunge to Linux — Gary Roberts

Email this Story to a Friend

Print this Story - Printer-friendly format

What Readers Have to Say

ZDNet Webopedia

Get your daily
technology fix

See a sample issue

BRIEFING CENTER:
  • UNIX/Linux

  • Windows NT / Windows 2000

  • READ MORE:
    Jesse: Fired for Choosing Linux? - ZDNet AnchorDesk

    Jesse: How Linux Could Kill Windows NT - ZDNet AnchorDesk

    Guide to Alternative Operating Systems - ZDNet AnchorDesk

    Jesse: Linux Leaps Ahead - ZDNet AnchorDesk

    Linux OS Gains Mainstream Support - ComputerShopper.com

    Diary of a Linux Bumpkin - DevHead

    Linux Resources - ZDNN

    EVALUATE:
    OSUser: The Ultimate Operating Systems Resource - ZDNet Products Channel

    SUBSCRIBE:
    Get AnchorDesk's Email Summary in Your Inbox! - ZDNet AnchorDesk

    DISCUSS:
    Jesse's Berst Alerts

    COMPANIES:
    Caldera Inc.

    Compaq Computer Corp.

    IBM

    Informix Software, Inc.

    Microsoft Corp.

    Red Hat Software

    PRODUCTS:
    Linux

    Windows 2000

    PEOPLE:
    Linus Torvalds

    TODAY ON
    ANCHORDESK:
    How to Persuade Your Boss to Take the Linux Plunge

    Resellers Key to Linux Success

    Tips and Tricks to Get You Started

    Grab Jon's Linux Toolkit

    Intel to ID Chips ...
    Does Microsoft Owe You?
    Anti-Porn Testimony Begins ?

    Next Story

    INDEXES: | Companies | Products | Talk Back |
    OTHER: | Home | Top of Page | Quick Poll | Back Issues |
    | Subscribe | Forums | Don't Go There | Get MAD! | Help |

    Got something to say? Talk Back to Jesse Berst

    Services   9c/MINUTE LONG DISTANCE, 5c/MINUTE ON SUNDAYS!
    Software   Looking for software? Buy Smart, Buy Fast, BuyDirect!
    Employment   Search hundreds of high-tech jobs even by zip code.
    Software   X10.com -- The SuperSite for Home Automation
     ZDNET FEATURED LINKS
    Freebies   Download the 52 most popular free games of 1998!
    Bargins!   Shop the Basement for best buys on computer products
    Library   It's free! Sample the best new computing books
     MAGAZINE OFFERS
    Free Shirt   Get a free XL t-shirt from PC Magazine!

    ZDNet HomeSite MapSearch ZDNetWhat's NewAd InfoContact UsFeedback

    Use of ZDNet is subject to certain Terms & Conditions
    Please read ZDNet's Privacy Statement

    Copyright (c) 1999 ZDNet. All rights reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of ZDNet is prohibited. ZDNet and the ZDNet logo are trademarks of Ziff-Davis Inc.

    GET MAD!Hall of FameTop 10 Thingswww.killerdownloads.com

    --- End Message ---